Saturday, April 5, 2008

Tiwi Dreaming

A tropical dawn is beautiful. The birds are singing, the stars are still faintly visible in the sky and the sun rises pinky-red over Frances Bay. I sit on my balcony overlooking the water clutching my cup of tea and think: "why the hell am I awake at 6am on a Saturday morning?"

I have been so busy these last few weeks with Uni that I haven't written up about my trip to Tiwi on the Tuesday after Easter. It was a lovely day with visits to the Museum and some Tiwi ceremonies. I bought some artwork from Ngaruwanajirri (The Keeping House), which provides employments and skills training for Tiwi Islanders with a disability. The art is below. The artist for both pieces is Marie Yvonne Tipuamantumirri.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

genfie, I love them. Are they oil on canvas or some other medium?

Lee Tennant said...

They're natural ochre on water-colour paper.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous stuff :)
ah, a tropical dawn... it has been a while I have seen one!
hope you are having a reat weekend!