Friday, October 12, 2007

My Island Home As A Title Would Be Too Clichéd

The soundtrack of my days is Going Home by Mark Knopfler because that’s where I am: home.

From the minute I flew away from a cold Canberra morning into the September warmth of Far North Queensland, I am where I am. Part of me exists here even after I have left and it seems sometimes that it is only here that I am whole. My brother, Richard, says the rocks of the Island are magnetic and that bad emotions, stress, anger, frustration, are sucked out of us as soon as we step upon these shores again.

The view from my balcony is the ocean stretching toward the mainland and the lapping waves upon the tranquil shore. Wallabies, lorikeets, currawongs and possums vie for my attention and my food. I sip a Corona and am relaxed for the first and only time this year. I am home.

No comments: