Saturday, January 5, 2008

Gone with the wind? Let's hope not.

How does this begin?

It's 1:30 am and the soundtrack of my life is the roaring gusts of wind: 130kmph.

Cyclone Helen, Category 2, is roaring around my ears, although Darwin is still far from the epicentre. It is expected to pass just south of the city, however, so more fun will ensue over the next day. I'm all prepared, with canned food, gluten-free snacks, water, a torch and spare batteries, candles, matches and a portable radio.

Having said that, I still have power! Amazing and welcome. I went to sleep this evening about 9:30pm but slept fitfully until 1:15am when the winds struck. I'm surprisingly hot, mainly because the whole place is shut up.

I'm watching TV, monitoring the weather and wishing I had some friends hanging out on Facebook at the moment. The sound of gale-force winds is one of the eeriest in the world. Oh, I forgot to add the most important provisions: a copy of Orhan Pamuk's "My Name is Red" and the first five Discworld novels.

The lights dimmed slightly so I'll sign off and try to write later. Adieu

No comments: